Saturday, December 5, 2009

New Friend on Plane



I made a new friend on the airplane from Chicago to Frankfurt. Marrie is from Iowa and is on her way back to Afghanistan. She has been there for 10 months, had a personal emergency in Iowa and now has about 3 more months in Afghanistan. She was in Iraq for 4 years. She is an enlisted mechanic and has almost 25 years in the service. I loved talking with her. Immediately she catches your eye as she is 6 ‘4” tall carrying a teddy bear. Taylor, the teddy bear, is from Scottsdale Christian School in Scottsdale, AZ. This is a 6 grade social studies project. The student bought the bear, with a nice dress and a backpack complete is toy cellphone. In the back pack is a note explaining the purpose is to send the bear world wide. The student even explains that she is a Christian and very clearly states the gospel of Jesus Christ. Taylor traveled to Afghanistan with another military person who gave it to Marrie. She has been traveling with Taylor and almost past her off to us but had promised friends in Poland that Taylor was coming to visit. Marrie and I talked a lot and exchanged emails. I love having new friends!!

2 comments:

  1. (Don't laugh at me) Small World... My nephew goes to Scottsdale Christian School and my sister, Lynn, is going to find the 6th grader and show her your blog entry so she can see the pictures of her teddy bear! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. ssmsjames is Daisy (I forgot to sign my name.)

    ReplyDelete