Saturday, December 26, 2009

About Kolya...a little beginning!


Now that Dan and I are more rested after not really sleeping Christmas eve, pressure of court, now dealing with some kid issues that needed to be addressed, starting the serious business of meds at the right time and right quantity to the right person, eating out with the Burnham’s for Christmas dinner at the Steakhouse- it has a tiger striped life sized cow in front of the restaurant. I think Auburn fans have been here! The Burnham’s and the eating were fine but all Christina and Kolya really wanted was pizza and we were at a nice place. We skipped the party afterwards…so sorry to miss being with all the MTW missionaries celebrating the birth of Christ and the fellowship of believers. Dan and I were exhausted. We put the kids to bed at 8. They quickly told us it was only 8 and bedtime was 9. Too bad!! Then they went straight to sleep. Jake, Erin and I stayed up playing the game, Alibi, kind of like Clue but much more involved.

I thought I might write a little about Kolya and tomorrow about Christina.

Kolya loves tools!! There is a small circular stairway that leads to an unfinished attic. There is also a small storage space in the wall above the bathroom but below the attic – you may have to be here to know what I mean. It is just perfect for an inquisitive high energy boy with lots of time. He found out that it is a storage room with tools and lots of extra little stuff. He has examined all the tools – opened every box and organized them. He found a scrap of wood and nailed nails into it. We have knocked several things down or broken things that have now been fixed. The door knob was loose…call Kolya. He looks to see which kind of screw driver he needs and runs to get it. MA! He hands me a screw driver to see if it is right. I do not need to watch, he knows what he is doing. However when he found a broken stool, Papa needed to step in. They pulled out nails, took the supports out, cleaned it up, then nailed it back together. There were tools everywhere! Papa and Kolya had a great time.

Christina wanted in so I took her into the kitchen and she helped me filter water with Dan’s hiking filtration system. This is the 3rd mission trip I have taken with it. It beats hauling big jugs of water!

Back to Kolya. He loves helping but on his own terms, he sounds like all of us! I love him! He mentions wanting a watch everyday. Dan and he looked at watches on the internet and I tried to explain through our hand held translator that in 6 days.. he needed to wait 6 days...which would be New Year's Day. As this culture gives gifts on this day, Dan and I had decided to give 1 gift on this day..yes, to Jake and Erin too. He seemed more content but still is not sure.


Jake downloaded a free racing game and Kolya loves this! In fact almost to the exclusion of everything else. It is difficult to sometimes for him to realize that being in a family does NOT mean always getting things his way. I think in the orphanage it was the suvival of the fittest, not necessarily the most aggressive. He knows how to tilt his head and purr.."please". Most of you know me and that really does not work with me. He has realized that and we are seeing less and less of it. I have seen him be aggressive to get his way and we, especially my patient husband, is slowly working with this. Child rearing is a process and will not be completed by us but through us for a time and by the Lord completely!

That's all the time I have right now. We are learning that we must get our sleep to keep up with these kids... that includes all 4 of them:)

In Him Alone,

Leslie

1 comment: