Sunday, December 6, 2009


Dan and I worshipped at Holy Trinity in Kiev on Sunday. Great sermon on our response to suffering and bad times. The passage of scripture was Habakkuk 3:17-19, one of my favorite! Marianne Peipon met us and took us below ground to the metro rail. We went deep deep into the ground on a steep escalator - my dislike of escalators and heights was in my face - I truely think the escalator was going 30 mph!!!! But we arrived safely and climbed out of the depths onto the street to walk just a little ways to a building. Within on the 4th floor was a huge meeting room, there were at least 150 of us with plenty of room with stage and instruments. Those who needed an interpreter sat in the back and a man simply translated in a quiet voice what was being said in Russian. We also had communion. What a feeling of the universal church of God all partaking of communion!! WOW!

Above is the picture of Sasha, our facilitator who is Orthodox but came to the last of the service, Marianne and Leslie. We met after church to talk and eat lunch in a small restaurant called the Drum. We walked back through Independence Square to our flat after first stopping at the grocery store for fruit.

The clouds are so low on that indeed they are touching the rooftops. A building that we could see 2 days ago is now blurred by the clouds, it is just 3 buildings away.

Jet lag? Funny you should ask! Yes, we are still waking at 4 AM but now just turn over and slowly drift to sleep. Saturday night poor Dan did not sleep at all, Leslie slept! So Sunday night Dan pushed himself to 8 PM and then slept to 9AM! Leslie slept fine! I get very warm at night because the heating works very well. During the day we leave the windows open but at night we close them almost all the way. Dan loves it and I swelter! But life is good!

This morning we meet Sasha, in the picture above, at the flat at 11. We will walk to the SDA and have our meeting to receive the official referral that gives us permission to go to Odessa to see the kids and start the process in Odessa.

Thanks for your prayers...keep praying for safety for Christina and Kolya and that the process might go smoothly.

All I can say now is ROLL TIDE- Got up at 4 AM Sat night to check the score and was excited to see the outcome!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Guys!

    Its Libby Dyess, and I am doing a project in English, and the country I was asigned to was, beleive it or not, Ukraine! I was wandering, can you give me some interesting facts about the country. If so, email me at ldyes1@gmail.com.

    Thanks so much,
    Libby Dyess

    P.S.- say hi to Kolya and Christina for me!

    ReplyDelete